Skip to main content

Oopsies, I Forgot Saltwater!!

Last night as I slipped off to sleep, it occurred to me... I didn't discuss desalination at all.

It's kind of mind blowing when you consider the number of people who've never seen an ocean, yet only 1% of the earth's water is liquid freshwater. 97% is salt water and we can't drink it without removing that salt. To be quite honest I've lived on the West Coast pretty much all of my life. I spent most of the first 20 years just five minutes off the beach. That said, desalination is not something I would ever consider for my survival situation, unless I was on a boat stuck out at sea, not long-term anyway.

Personal filters life Lifestraw, Survivor Filter, and Sawyer do not remove salt. The big boys, Berkey and such, do not remove salt.
In my previous article, we discussed a few different ways to distill water. Solar distillation will remove salt, as well the various types of fire-heated (or propane, or whatever) distillation methods. The main issue with these is that they take time, so they aren't super convenient.

You can distill water using reverse osmosis, but I honestly, only know how to do this with raisins and have no clue how you would do this on a large scale.
There are units you can buy, mostly marketed for boats I think, but these have motors and require electricity and just don't seem incredibly feasible for the majority of the population.

If you're in a coastal region, it would be wise to really understand what brackish water is and how to avoid getting sick. Brackish waters are estuaries, swamps, rivers, etc, where fresh water meets saltwater. While the water may not taste overly salty, it can still contain too much salt for your body to handle. This questionable region can actually vary quite considerably in distance, there is no golden rule of 300 feet or a mile. It's always best to look for a small running stream that runs into a larger body that meets the ocean, especially if you can see that it comes from a raised elevation. My part of the world, Oregon, it's easy to find this. I encourage you to study your region and figure out how to best read your local ecosystems.

While knowing how to distill saltwater is an incredibly useful tool to have in your back-pocket, it's certainly not what I want to use as my water source plan A, B, or C.  

Comments

  1. I tend to agree with you on using distillation apparatus to purify water. There are so many methods when it comes to distillation, pot stills, reflux columns, coil units. I think people should have some means to distill, and know how to use it now, do not wait until an emergency to learn.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Science of Fire

When's the last time you built a fire? (Your charcoal grill doesn't really count.) If you don't have a fireplace or fire pit, some people actually go their whole lives without ever playing with fire. This is kind of mind-blowing to me (I've been making fire since i was old enough to steal matches.)(*blush*... sorry Mom.) In figuring out how to approach this subject, I've had to realize that not everyone grows up in a rural community, hunting and camping their whole lives. So, the basics, how does fire work ? Fire is a chemical reaction that takes place when heat is added to oxygen and fuel (carbon). The process doesn't work without all three. If you light a fire, and it isn't going well, you have to look to these three things to figure out the problem. Once that is determined, it's usually pretty easy to fix the issue. In chemistry, it's best to make sure you have all of your supplies prepped and ready to go before you start. You'll want yo

Tidbit: Media and Prepping

While I have a definite format for the initial set up of this blog, there are periodically other things I'd like to discuss, little bits of wisdom I stumble across and want to share, but that don't necessarily fit in to where we're at. From now on I will list them under the label "Tidbits" for your searching pleasure. I'd like to discuss media and prepping. There's a lot of bullshit out there and there's some hidden gems. Hopefully we've reached a point where you feel like you've at least got some direction and objectives. The most important thing to remember is that you are the best judge of your needs and abilities. Look to others for advice and out of the box ideas. This is the point that I seriously started watching survival shows as study material. Don't get me wrong, you can't learn to be a survivalist from tv or youtube, but you can get ideas, find mistakes, and learn new concepts. Example. All survival kit lists have some so