Skip to main content

Where To Start?

There are dozens of reasons to Prep, ie. natural disasters, epidemic, social disorder, economic crash, zombie apocalypse, or alien invasions. Ok, some of those make me snicker, but we all have our fears. Often, once we feel securely prepped in one area, we branch out and prep for another. It's all about having a foundation and building, building, building. I think most real preppers never consider themselves done.

So... How the hell do you start? I remember asking my bff that. While prepping has always been a want for me, she started years before I did. She simply said, "When you go to the store, even if it's only $5 more, buy extra." That was about it. While she was right, that wasn't what I was looking for. My goal here is to tell you everything I wish I'd been told... and eventually, maybe some of you will get to the point where I'll be looking to you for ideas.

First, and foremost, assess your likely situation.

Consider your region and your likely threats. Do you live in an area prone to extreme weather, or natural disasters? Power outages, tornadoes, flooding, drought, wildfires, etc. If you do, these are your most pressing concerns. (Once you prep for those, you can build on that foundation and address the "what if" concerns.

In your most likely scenario, what will you need to do? Are you likely to have to bug out or bug in. If you have to bug out, remember portability in all of your preps. If you're lucky enough to bug in, perhaps you don't have to consider extensive camping equipment and such.  If you do have to bug out, where are you going to go? My family has A, B, and C immediate locations... and two long distance "refugee" type locations (friends in states outside of our region where we can seek safety.) If you have to bug out, and your family isn't together, how will you find each other? Our ABC plan has a time frame attached to it. A= 3 hours, B= 3days, C= 3 Weeks. (Our biggest threat is serious flooding in which, depending on where each family member is, it might take 3 weeks for us to reunite.)(plan this shit out!)

Once you figure out what is most likely going to be required, figure out what items you're going to need to invest in. Remember the 7 objectives:
1. Water
2. Fire (heat)
3. Shelter
4.Food
5. Security
6. Health & First Aid
7. Communications (I almost forgot this because it's what my family needs to work on the most... yeeps)

I will address each of these in the coming up weeks.

Once you figure out your needs, plan how you're going to acquire these items and how you're going to store them.**Tip: when considering something for your preps, try to find items that serve multiple purposes. This reduces the bulk of your stash and trains you to focus on multi-functionality. Once you train your brain to view items this way, you'll be amazed at how creative you become. Seriously, look at a knee high nylon and try to think of all the possible uses. (yes the kind your nana wears.) I'll wait.

Waiting.
How many? 10? 15? now put them on your list of things to put in your bug out bag!

There are a million Prepper's MUST HAVE lists... there are tons of kits and pre-fab bags that you can buy... I strongly recommend you ignore all that crap. Not everyone has the same situation. Not everyone has the same threats or the same needs. And most of those are filled with stuff that, while useful, you can get at the $1 Store or in bulk on Amazon and use your money more wisely. Once you get rolling and you have your feet somewhat firmly planted beneath you, look at the lists and the kits for ideas of where you can fill in your holes.

I'm going to leave you with three important prepper thoughts.

2 is one and 1 is none.
 This is why multi-functionality is so important. 3 is the magic number. 3 ways to get water, 3 ways to make fire, 3 way to build shelter, etc... etc..
  If you rely on a striker to make fire, and you break your rod... and you can't make fire and boiling water was your only way to get drinking water... you're fucked.

2 is one and 1 is none.

3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months
When you first start out, this is how you should manage your goals. Think in terms of what you need to survive for 3 days. Achieve that. Then work on 3 weeks worth. Achieve that, 3 months. Then 3 more months. etc.
This gives you defined, manageable goals.

Lastly, maybe most importantly...

**DON'T BUY ANYTHING YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE!!**
Watch youtube videos, read articles, talk to people. Don't bog yourself down with shit you can't actually use. Once you get it, take it out, play with it, get to know it. BECOME FAMILIAR!!

Think about things... ask me questions. Next I'll discuss the foundation of life: WATER.

Till then!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Science of Fire

When's the last time you built a fire? (Your charcoal grill doesn't really count.) If you don't have a fireplace or fire pit, some people actually go their whole lives without ever playing with fire. This is kind of mind-blowing to me (I've been making fire since i was old enough to steal matches.)(*blush*... sorry Mom.) In figuring out how to approach this subject, I've had to realize that not everyone grows up in a rural community, hunting and camping their whole lives. So, the basics, how does fire work ? Fire is a chemical reaction that takes place when heat is added to oxygen and fuel (carbon). The process doesn't work without all three. If you light a fire, and it isn't going well, you have to look to these three things to figure out the problem. Once that is determined, it's usually pretty easy to fix the issue. In chemistry, it's best to make sure you have all of your supplies prepped and ready to go before you start. You'll want yo

Tidbit: Media and Prepping

While I have a definite format for the initial set up of this blog, there are periodically other things I'd like to discuss, little bits of wisdom I stumble across and want to share, but that don't necessarily fit in to where we're at. From now on I will list them under the label "Tidbits" for your searching pleasure. I'd like to discuss media and prepping. There's a lot of bullshit out there and there's some hidden gems. Hopefully we've reached a point where you feel like you've at least got some direction and objectives. The most important thing to remember is that you are the best judge of your needs and abilities. Look to others for advice and out of the box ideas. This is the point that I seriously started watching survival shows as study material. Don't get me wrong, you can't learn to be a survivalist from tv or youtube, but you can get ideas, find mistakes, and learn new concepts. Example. All survival kit lists have some so

Oopsies, I Forgot Saltwater!!

Last night as I slipped off to sleep, it occurred to me... I didn't discuss desalination at all. It's kind of mind blowing when you consider the number of people who've never seen an ocean, yet only 1% of the earth's water is liquid freshwater. 97% is salt water and we can't drink it without removing that salt. To be quite honest I've lived on the West Coast pretty much all of my life. I spent most of the first 20 years just five minutes off the beach. That said, desalination is not something I would ever consider for my survival situation, unless I was on a boat stuck out at sea, not long-term anyway. Personal filters life Lifestraw, Survivor Filter, and Sawyer do not remove salt. The big boys, Berkey and such, do not remove salt. In my previous article, we discussed a few different ways to distill water. Solar distillation will remove salt, as well the various types of fire-heated (or propane, or whatever) distillation methods. The main issue with these i